11/06/2010

Top 10 Box Office Stars of 1968 (USA)


The rankings come from Quigley Publishing Co.'s annual list (since 1932) of top money making stars in the USA, which based on a poll of hundreds of theater executives. The list does not rank stars only on how much cash their films made, but on what theater owners say about who attracts audiences on their star power alone.

1. Sidney Poitier


2. Paul Newman

3. Julie Andrews

4. John Wayne


5. Clint Eastwood


6. Dean Martin


7. Steve McQueen



8. Jack Lemmon


9. Lee Marvin



10. Elizabeth Taylor

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/06/2010

    1968 was obviously a strong year when you look at the calibre of people in that list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly agree, Paul. It was quite a year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahm, Sidney Poitier, what a great actor!. This is a great collection of big stars. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marcos for stopping by!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this feature of yours, and the late sixties was my era - go Sydney, Paul, and Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ethel! It's fun to look back and see who was popular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11/09/2010

    Thank you for stopping by...Gr8 post...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a little anecdote I thought you might be interested in. Paul Newman did the movie "Winning" in 1968. I am an Indianapolis native, and I was 15 years old. I am in the movie as an extra. They filmed part of it here at the 500 race track. I got paid $12 for the day, lunch, and I got to shake hands with Paul Newman. I was so in love with him, and at age 15, all I could do was shake his hand and stare - I couldn't think of a single thing to say. He gave me a hug! One of my favorite memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Gingeyginge, thanks!

    @ClassicBecky, what a nice remembrance. Thank you for sharing. I'm aware of Mr. Newman's fondness for racing, and to actually meet him in person - wow what a thrill. I've always wanted to see this movie; when I watch it I'll have to check back with you and find out what scene you are in.

    @Alessandra, thanks!

    ReplyDelete