7/09/2009

Treasure of The Sierra Madre (1948)

One of my favorite movies ever. Greed and obsession with gold. A classic starring Humphrey Bogart as a gold digger in the mountains of Tampico, Mexico. The movie starts off explaining how he starts on his mission for gold, and meets up with Tim Holt and Walter Huston who become his partners.

Based on a book by B. Traven, a writer who lived in Mexico. I've heard some great things about some of his other stories and want to read more of his work one day.

Read Ed's review from his blog, Decisions at Sundown: A Blog About Westerns.

Read Rod's review from his blog, This Island Rod.

Read an interesting post from Projections.

Another great post from Confessions of a Film Philistine. 








6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/10/2009

    YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG WITH BOGIE...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom: One of my top-ten desert island DVDs. I've watched it dozens of times, will watch it, hopefully, dozens more. One of Bogart's best, and a real, shining moment for Tim Holt (the final look of peace and acceptance on Holt's face near the end, as he contemplates his future sans gold and riches, is a great moment in the history of film). -- Mykal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bogart is awesome in this! Such as masterpiece. One of my favorites too. Everyone is so good in this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim Holt is much underestimated I think. He was stuck in b movie westerns for much of his career but when given the chance he could be very good. Magnificent Ambersons and Treasure of the Sierra Madre being prime examples.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that Tim Holt was underestimated. He was great in this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Out of all the films that Bogart did I think that this one was his best performance.

    ReplyDelete