Note: This is Part 1 of of a special 3-part series on the TCM: Road to Hollywood event in Chicago
Last week Turner Classic Movies came to town with their Road to Hollywood series, treating fans to a special free screening of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers at the Music Box Theater in Chicago. I arrived in line 2-1/2 hours before the start time (and ate part of my dinner while waiting). Seating started at 6:30, one hour before the show. Every seat was taken - it was a full house! TCM's Robert Osborne came up to the stage at 7:30 and said a few words about TCM, the Road series and the big TCM Film Fest in Hollywood in a few weeks.
I was really excited to see this movie; I had never seen it before. Robert asked how many people had never seen the movie, then asked how many never saw it on the big screen, and almost everyone's hand went up. There were people of all ages there, and quite a few teenagers as well. The people I talked to in line said this was one of their favorite movies.
In this clip, Robert Osborne is introduced to the crowd
Duration: 1 minute, 17 seconds
Duration: 1 minute, 17 seconds
In this clip, Jane Powell is introduced to the crowd and walks up to the stage.
Duration: 2 minutes
Duration: 2 minutes
When Jane Powell came out and everyone stood up;
cheers and applause filled the theater.
P.S. Did you know today is Jane Powell's birthday? Yes! Happy Birthday!

You are so lucky! What an amazing experience. Can't wait to hear more. :D
ReplyDeleteI wanted to go to this, but I wasn't able to! Thank you so much for posting the videos and pictures!
ReplyDeleteThanks Audrey! It was a fun time.
ReplyDeleteHi Kalli, sure, you're welcome. I'll have three more videos up this weekend.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic lady!
ReplyDeleteAwesome Tom! Sounds and looks like you had a great time. And thanks for the mention about my blog with the Jane Powell birthday tribute.
ReplyDelete@Daniele - she is, and had so many memories to share.
ReplyDelete@Monty - You're welcome. I will have Part 2 up this morning.