4/24/2015

Reflections on Furious 7 - after 5th viewing

This past Monday night I went to see Furious 7 for the fifth time. That might sound crazy, but I know some of you have seen certain movies a lot more than that.

This movie is one to experience on the big screen. Thankfully it's still in theaters...I have not seen it in IMAX yet so there may be a SIXTH viewing, which would break my all time record.

So after five viewings, what were my takeaways this time?
  • There was a smaller crowd, not as many people as previous showings. Didn't hear people laugh, gasp, or clap this time. There was applause, though.
  • The movie's main song (currently #1 on the Billboard charts) could be nominated for the Best Song Oscar. It would be great it was nominated, and won, even! Imagine - a Fast and Furious movie winning an Oscar! It should be nominated for Sound, Sound Effects Editing, and even Visual Effects...I mean, what they did with the Paul Walker CGI is amazing.
  • The race between Sean Boswell and Dom --- they don't show it (brilliance) and they don't tell you who wins---again, brilliance.
  • This movie is almost 2-1/2 hours---but I'm sure the final cut was MUCH LONGER....So everything in the current cut is there for a reason - every shot, every line, everything. Nothing on screen was worthy of being cut. Applause!
  • One thing that keeps bugging me is the scene where we first see Mia and Jack in the Dominican in the safe house. There is a character talking on his phone to Dom and I feel I should know him but I don't think he's ever explained in a previous movie...he has some dialogue that is hard to make out with his accent...I have to listen again next time carefully because I think he explains why he's sheltering Mia...something about returning a favor to Dom...but I'm not sure.....
  • I love the three simultaneous action sequences at the end. Was listening to a podcast this week and they compared it to Return of the Jedi's climax where they have three sets of action sequences going on. And in this film Dom and Deckard Shaw fight each other with wrenches which reminds me of the Darth-Luke fight in the end of Jedi! 




.



No comments:

Post a Comment